Friday, April 12, 2013

5 Months & Counting

Well the 4/8 marked 5 months. Wahooo. It's been quite the road.

Here's a little update. My mouth situation has gotten so much better. My Dentist and Primary Endo have worked diligently on trying to help figure out what has been going on with me.

My Endo asked to see some blood work and he didn't want to just prescribe me medication to mask whatever was going on. My Dentist asked me to come in so he could take a look at my mouth. Not sure if I have mentioned before but prior to my RAI treatment I went to the dentist to have my teeth checked out. The RAI treatment can cause damage to your teeth and mouth as I know have experienced. Thank god  I went. I had 6 fillings and a root canal all within three days back to back. But this had to be done before my treatment because I didn't want any further damage to the mess I already had.

So anyways. Got my blood work done then off to the dentist. Its sad when they know you by name and know exactly everything about your mouth as soon as you walk in the door. Even the receptionist. I have been to that office 6 times since February. Good thing I don't hate the dentist office. So the Dr. comes in asks whats been going on etc. Feels around inside my mouth and BAM the tears come pouring down my face. All he did was touch the inside of my mouth and I was literally balling my eyes out I was in so much pain. He stopped wiped away my tears and said no wonder you are in so much pain. You have sprained muscles of the jaw. He said its just like having a sprained ankle except you are unaware that you have this add aren't treating hence why its so bad.

Ding Ding Ding. I've finally gotten an answer to my pain. It's amazing. I had another Dr. tell me its apart of my treatment take ibuprofen it could be for the rest of your life... REALLY? My stomach couldn't take much more of the ibuprofen so I stopped taking it and just dealt with the pain until my Dentist cured me. He also walked in with two boxes of samples of Sensodyne tooth paste and Biotene Mouthwash. Then said do not buy it call me when you run out I'll get you more. Hallelujah, there is someone out there that isn't just trying to collect every penny from me. I am so thankful that I have a caring, generous and passionate dentist.

For now I have to deal with sensitivity to anything cold or hot and even when the cold wind blows. Such a joy. The occasional left cheek face swelling. It's always fun it look like a chipmunk. But I am hoping over time that this gets better because it sure is a pain in the butt. I still have no feeling in my neck which is sure strange to me but I have gotten use to. I was told that this could be a long time recovery. So I guess we'll wait and see. The other day I day I discover a lump under my chin but not quite my actual neck. I am on an antibiotic and read that lymph nodes swell when you are fighting an infection so maybe this is why. I know that there were a ton of lymph nodes taken out of my neck during surgery so this could quite possibly be true. I said I will give it the weekend and we'll see Monday how it is. But other than that I still cannot complain I feel like a million dollars compared to how I felt prior to finding out I had cancer, so I'll take it.

I can't forget about the hospital bills for all the care I have received. The most concerning one is from 2009/2010 when I went to the ER twice for stomach pain and the Dr's released me and said nothing was wrong. I have been told that was the first signs that I had cancer. That's when all the issues started. Its a pretty hefty bill to me and I am still paying on it till this day. The local hospital that I went to while attending school wouldn't work with me on a payment plan that I could afford (while putting myself through college.) So they sent it off to collections. It has affected my credit and still till this day I am paying on it and trying to get rid of it. At the current time I was working as a waitress making "too much money" so I lost the health insurance I did have which was Medicaid. I think its really great that I paid into a health insurance program that I couldn't even use because I "made too much money." Absolutely mind boggling to me. I have started looking into some charities or programs that will help people pay for medical bills to see if I can get some help with this. If anyone knows of any programs like such please let me know. I could use the help.

My current health insurance is great and I cannot complain. Most of everything was covered but a few Drs visits and what was not covered at the Dentist so I am trying to slowly get those squared away. Over all health issues are a huge stressful burden and I have been dealing with this way too long. Several years with no answers, bills piling up and being sick has been enough for me.

I will post pictures of my Sierra (scar) and my new hair do by my sister Maria later today.






No comments:

Post a Comment