So many test exams etc. the biggest one was the ultrasound. I didn't have one done at Sloan Kettering and they are very picky and like to have their own test. There's a good reason for that. The other funny thing ill always remember from this was when the nurse practitioner came in said well are you a female or a male? Your paperwork is showing male. I said well I was born a female haven't had a sex change. Female it is. That was a big laugh.
I treated myself to a pedicure before my surgery in support of Thyroid Cancer colors of course.
One if my symptoms of this all was a racing heart. I felt like I was always running a marathon. I was put on medication to slow my heart down for surgery. Two days before the surgery I got a phone call from Dr Wong. He said Alyssa things may change a little bit. We found three suspicious lymph nodes in your neck. We're gonna have to do a lymph node dissection on top of your thyroidectomy. This may change things or it may not. It all depends on how things look on the inside when I open you up. I said change things as in? He said your stay could go from overnight to a couple of days because you may need a drain. We cannot discharge you with a drain in.
Instant panic. My heart sank. This was on a Monday morning all before arriving to work. I said welp there's nothing I can change. I tried to stay positive and not let it get to me. November 7th rolled around and we got a couple inches of snow. All I wanted was a good meal before midnight the cut off time for eating and drinking. Well it was snowing so hard Kev and I could not get out of his driveway with his car. We hopped in the truck and went to the local diner. Thank god they have good food because there wasn't much open.
The 8th is here. Even more snow. Fastest I've gotten out the door. Couldn't put anything on or eat so I didn't have a choice. Throw everything in the car, attempt to get out of the awful driveway and we get nowhere. So I get out and start shoveling a path for the car so we can get out. Finally Kev and I shovel the driveway faster than ever and we were off. We arrived at the hospital. It was a very fast process. Check in sign your waivers etc. then your in the OR prep. Questions getting in those fugly hospital gowns and most of it was a blur. I was an internal nervous wreck. I didn't want to show that I was so scared to be going under. Then it was time. Time to say goodbye to Kevin and start the trek to the OR room. Kev walked with me as much as he could then we had our final hug kiss and goodbye. I bawled. Just broke down. The walk to the OR felt like it was a mile way after that point.
Finally we're in the OR room and there were so many people. I was overwhelmed my nerves were through the roof. I meet everyone and the get me up on the extremely narrow operating table. I am still raving about the heated blanket they have me. I fell in love with it. I still didn't have my IV in at this point. I was laying down they were poking around trying to get my IV in because they could tell I just couldn't take it anymore. They kept saying you're gonna get the good stuff soon. Well as soon as the needle entered my hand I was out.
I woke up with the driest most painful feeling I've yet experienced. I had an oxygen mask on and was obviously half there. A nurse came over said I could take it off but that I needed some rest so I should go back to sleep. Dr Wong came in to see me to tell me I did great. He said don't hate me the scar is bigger than expected was suppose to be 1-2 it's more like 3-4. I smiled and said its okay. He said I had a drain and that I'll have to stay here for a few nights until the drain is completely dry. I shook my head and he said he spoke with Kevin and he has all the surgery details. He said he'd come visit me tomorrow.
A doze off but not sure for how long. The nurse said that my spouse could come in if I was feeling up for it. I said oh yes. She said okay We'll call him in. Literally heard a stampede coming down the hall. Around the curtain is my night and shining armor boyfriend Kevin. I was so happy to see him. He said Alyssa I couldn't tell you what I moaned out because I honestly don't remember it too much. All I remember was his face and entire body just relaxing with a sigh of relief. He didn't say why he just hugged, kissed me have me my chap stick kept wetting my lips and holding my hand. Couple minutes passed he said do you want to know what Dr Wong said? (Kev sat down with Dr Wong to discuss how my surgery went as soon as he was done) Kev of course knowing me so well knows I would want up know this information. There was some nervousness in his voice.
He started with well he said things went very well. But they took out eleven lymph nodes and there was cancer stuck to your right vocal cord. He had to peel it off from your vocal cord and he damaged it. You may not be able to talk normal again. BUT he said there's hope and time. If not there is a procedure that he can do that can also help fix it, but that's a long term thing. He said the lymph nodes were cancerous so he took out as many suspicious lymph nodes that he saw so that there would be an speculation for later down the road. I don't remember what my response was. All I remember was him having to leave his visiting time was up. I needed to rest some to go upstairs to my room.
I woke up in my room. Kev was there. The nurses took my vitals and introduced themselves. At this point it was like 6pm Kev was sitting in the hospital all day. He was staying two blocks over at his friends gf's apartment. He went over to her house dropped his things off and came back. I said I had one request and then he could go rest for the evening. I wanted a chocolate milk shake. I was so happy to get one. It felt so good on my sore throat. He then went off to dinner and well deserved drinks with Mike & Erin. Off to bed I thought I was going. Not too long after a nurse came in to check my vitals on my left arm. I woke up not screaming because I couldn't. But I ripped off the blood pressure thing. It hurt so bad I cried. My IV was literally swelling in my hand. (forgot to mention earlier I asked to have it taken out because it hurt too much) they said no you have to wait until 11pm. I believe it was 6pm when I asked. So anyways. The nurse was all what are you doing I said ever so quietly my hand is so painful. Please take it from my other arm. So she proceeded to do so. 11pm rolls around it was like the gods came. I was so to have that damn IV out of my hand and stabbed into a fatter part of my body. Back to bed I attempted. Not too long after I had to go to the bathroom. I had strict instructions not to get up on my own. I obeyed and hit the call the nurse button. No one came. Hit it again no one came. Held it down until someone came. I couldn't talk so they thought I was doing it on accident. Instead of checking to actually see if I needed something they ignored me. I thought I was going to pee myself. I had the blood clot things on my legs so I couldn't freely move. I also could barely move my neck. Felt like my head was falling off, every time I moved.
Finally my lovely nurse Leigha came. She helped me and apologized up and down and said she would tell the front desk I can't talk so they knew. Ahhh finally off to bed I go. Nope, wronggg I couldn't get comfortable my head hurt so bad. My neighbor in my room had so many machines hooked up to her all they did was beep all night. If they weren't beeping she was moaning she was in pain. It was awful. Someway some how I fell asleep.
Woke up to my first dose of synthyroid for the rest of my life. I was also on a calcium regime because my calcium levels were very low. Went back to sleep. Woke up to my other fabulous nurse Megan. She reminded me of my good friend Sam. She walked in the room and instantly put you in a great mood. Ordered my breakfast and said chickadee you got to do a lap or two this morning. She knew I was in pain. She said to me your young you don't want to be here. Want to know the secret to getting out of here faster? I instantly perked up. She said you need to walk laps around the hall. It gets everything in your body moving and you'll start adjusting to all the changes from surgery. I said well one my neck is painful brutally painful and my body hurts. I felt like I got dropped down a flight of stairs when I woke up that morning. She said lets get you a pain med and you'll be feeling great in no time. So off we went five labs around the hall.
Some of the great gifts I got while in the hospital. I thought they needed to be added.
The above picture you can see my drainage container to the left of my teddy bear (his name is Thunder.) The drain came out of my neck to the left of the bandage you can see on my neck. It was a royal pain to carry about and make sure I wasn't pinching or pulling it on my neck. I got the beautiful flowers & teddy from my sisters Ally and her boyfriends Billy.

New New York Giants attire from the lovely ladies at Brooke St Staffing. Thank you Lee, Alice, Lynne, Denise and Kathy.
My grandparents sent me these beautiful Lilly's. You can see my discomfort in this picture.
My Sister Sandy sent me a care package. Love that she decorated the box and put princesses all over it. The magazines came in handy as well as all the hard candy.
My bff Tara sent me these beautiful flowers. They were so pretty and made the room smell oh so wonderful.
Kev arrived shortly after. I was trying to get some food down but I was struggling so of course I just pushed it away. As soon as he got in settled I insisted on getting outta that hospital funky gown. I needed all assistance as I had that drain coming out the right side of my neck. I got into my bright pink shirt and comfy VS sweatpants. Boy did that change my mood. I was so relaxed and more comfortable. I insisted on doing more laps and getting up moving around. We didn't spend much time in my room. I eventually asked to be unhooked from my IV because that was just annoying to cart around. I also failed to mention that this drain was a big plastic vacuuming sucking container that I had to safety pin to my clothes or carrying around with me everywhere I went. We spent some time in the craft room which had a nice outdoor patio. We stayed out there until I froze. It was so nice to get fresh air. The day flew by. I also had a visit from the volunteer group that brings in their dogs. I had a big poodle come in and visit me. That was pretty cool. She was adorable. Before I knew it visiting hours were over. I told Kev before he left I needed one thing, Headphones. So that I could peacefully sleep. I got my wish. We said our good nights. Megan came in to check in on me. I just couldn't get comfortable. She suggested I take two pain meds to help me and fall asleep. So I did. A few hours later my stomach didn't like it. I was puking my brains out. There wasn't much in my stomach but I assume it was all the fluids. Boy that was awful. Off to bed I finally went. Leigha came in to say hi and check in for her night shift. I told her my uncomfortableness, vomiting and that ill have my headphones in because I just can't take all the noise my roommate made. She said ok and and off to sleep I went. So peaceful. If I ever have to go to the hospital again headphones will always be with me. You never know when you'll need to tone out others.
I woke up bright and early to Dr Wong who came in to check in on me. He said that my drain looked good and he's gonna send me home. He said that's there's some important things I need to remember with my voice. At this point it was very raspy and hard for people to understand me. It was almost like I was outta breath trying to talk with a hoarse voice. I needed to one take it slow two start moving my neck not be so stiff and three my vocal cord is severely damaged and delicate. I shouldn't try to raise my voice or yell because I would make things worse. Dr Wong's resident came in to remove my drain. Let me tell you the pain that was. But my drain was out and things were good. I called in my breakfast because it would take awhile to be discharged. I met with the pharmacist who discussed meds and gave me prescriptions to fill. Megan came in and I told her my breakfast never came. She was like oh Nooo she called room service and said what the flip guys she's about to get discharged and didn't get her breakfast yet. Breakfast arrived and so did Kev. I was so happy to be getting out of the hospital and home.
I got home to so many more wonderful gifts from friends and family. Thank you everyone that sent me something and kept me in your thoughts during surgery and my recovery.
Our friend Anthony and his girlfriend Kaci sent me these get well cake pops.
My coworkers all pitched in to get me this nice bag full of goodies.
The Rosafort's sent me these lovely roses.
At home things were struggling. My head felt like a hundred pounds. No matter which way I moved it felt like it was gonna fall off. Eating was a struggle as well. I had to have my head forward but down like my chin almost touching my chest in order to comfortably swallow any type of food. There was so much strain on my neck that is have to stop and rest my head backwards with a travel pillow. That travel pillow saved my life. Every time I wanted to move my head Kev would have to come pick it up and help me. I slept with five pillows under my head just to support it comfortably. Everything was so tricky because I had zero strength in my neck. I slowly gained movement back. I then lost my taste buds after a few days which was extremely frustrating. Here I was could barely get anything down and I couldn't even taste the soup yogurt etc I just stopped eating it was too much of a chore to do. My voice was the hardest thing to cope with. It was hard for others to understand me and when they couldn't I got frustrated because they'd just look at me like I was stupid. That really tested my patience. Oh and because I didn't have a ton of PTO, I decided my second day back home to start working. Why not, right? I'm so thankful I got to work from home made things easier on me as financially I wouldn't of been able to do it.
My number one supporter throughout everything.
Time for my post surgery follow up appointment. I visited with my surgery Dr Wong. He scoped me yet again to check out my vocal cords. The were indeed damaged and not responding very well. His encouragement again was to talk not yell and let's hope over time it'll get better. He also gave me the pathology reports from my surgery. I had 31 lymph nodes taken out 8 of them tested positive for cancer. I also had two different cancerous spots on the right of my thyroid. He also explained to me why my voice was as bad as it was. He said the cancer had grown so much onto my vocal cord that he did the best he could with out paralyzing it.
I asked him how the surgery went in general. He said well lets put it like this. I was shocked when I opened your neck. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I honestly thought I was removing your thyroid and that was it. He said you proved me wrong. He said that he now understands why I just didn't feel good at all. He just kept saying how proud he was of me and that things were going much better than he thought already with my recovery. He encouraged me to get back to the gym to do light cardio to get my fluids moving around because of all the lymph nodes taken out it could cause swelling.
Back to the gym I went. Nothing too crazy biking and walking. Things were progressively getting better over time. I did lots of neck exercises to prevent scar tissue build up and gain movement back. A round the middle of december was when my vocal cords started up a little bit. It was still weak but I was finally gaining my voice back by the day. Some days much better than others and there were times nothing came out at all. I was hopeful then. As the days went by the better it got. It was then time for my one month follow up. Blood test of course. Meeting my new Sloan Kettering Endocrinologist Dr Boucai. She discussed the pathology reports in depth with me. Talked about the RAI 131 treatment that I would need to do as the next step in fighting the cancer. Then I went to see Dr. Wong. He was shocked to hear me talk and see how far along my voice has come. He was so happy he hugged me. He also checked out my scar and said its the best one he's seen in a long time. Props to my silicone gel sheets that he recommended. He scoped me and checked out my vocal cords. Said they're still not 100% their about 60% and that I need to be really careful with them. He said he was 100% sure it'd come back all the way and that I wouldn't need to have any further surgery. He wanted me to come back in six months to have a Check up and that I'm good to go. So happy the appointment went soooo well.
There's nothing better than having a phenomenal Dr who cares about his work patients and how their overall health is. I cannot thank him enough for his talent and everything he's done for me.







No comments:
Post a Comment